Deck Master System
The Deck Master System is something that was unique to the animated series, i.e., it did not appear in the comic. When Yugi and company were trapped in a Virtual Reality World by the Big Five (for the SECOND time), the Deck Master System was used for the duels.
For most intents and purposes, the duels were played exactly as normal. However, before the game began, the duelists each chose a Monster from his or her deck to be the Deck Master for that game. The card was removed from the deck, and was shown next to the player, which was called the Deck Master Position.
- The Deck Master is NOT considered to be on the Field when in the Deck Master Position, so it cannot be targeted or effected.
- During your Main Phase, you may "Summon" your Deck Master from the Deck Master Position as a Special Summon.
- Once a Deck Master has been Summoned, it CANNOT return to the Deck Master Position.
- Once on the Field, the Deck Master can be targeted, effected and destroyed like any other Monster. [Since the Deck Master is a Special Monster, it shouldn't be allowed to be returned to the deck or a player's hand.]
- IF YOUR DECK MASTER IS DESTROYED, YOU LOSE THE GAME.
- The Deck Master can be Fused into another Monster. However, if the fused Monster is destroyed, you lose the game.
Each Deck Master had a Special Ability that had a bearing on the game, which could be used whether it was Summoned or not. Unfortunately, they have no bearing on the actual effects on the cards (if any), so there's no way to discern what these effects, called Deck Master Abilities, are for the run of the mill Monster. However, the following Monsters were featured in the series, and had the following effects.
- Total Defense Shogun:
Impenetrable Defense Shield: If your opponent attacks you directly, you may pay 1000 Life Points. Negate that attack and destroy the attacking Monster.
- Blue Eyes White Dragon:
Monsters that this Monster is Fused into can attack the turn it is Fused. [Effectively useless in the real card game, as Fusion Monsters CAN attack the turn they are summoned, unlike the animated series.]
- Deepsea Warrior: [Big-1's Deck Master]
Reflector Hole: If your opponent attacks 1 of your Monsters, you may sacrifice 2 of your Monsters to negate that attack, and do damage to your opponent equal to the attack strength of the attacking Monster.
- Kuriboh: [Yugi's Deck Master]
If you are attacked directly, you may negate that attack. This effect can only be used once per game.
- (RDS-JP010) Nightmare Penguin: [Big-2's Deck Master]
Increase the attack strength of all of your Water Main-Type Monsters on the Field by 200.
- Dark Magician Girl: [Anzu's Deck Master]
Soul Circle: Look at a number of cards from the top of your deck equal to the number of Monster cards in your Cemetery. Put 1 into your hand, and the rest back in the same order. This effect can only be used once per game.
- Judge Man: [Big-3's Deck Master]
????: Pay 1000 Life Points. Remove all of your opponent's Monsters from the game, and do 500 damage to your opponent for each Monster removed.
- Flame Swordsman: [Jounouchi's Deck Master]
You may reduce this Monster's attack strength by up to 1000, and give the reduction to your other Warrior Monsters, in 100 point increments.
- Machine King: [Big-4's Deck Master]
Discard 1 Machine Sub-Type Monster from your hand. Do 500 damage to your opponent.
- Swift Black Ninja: [Otogi's Deck Master]
????: Discard 2 cards from your hand. Activate a face-down Magic or Trap card on the Field.
- Rare Metal Dragon: [Honda's Deck Master]
Set a card from your hand.
- Goddess with the Third Eye: [Shizuka's Deck Master]
Fusionic Eye: Discard 1 Magic card from your hand. You may fuse two or more Monsters as if by the [Fusion] card.
- Jinzo: [Big-5's Deck Master]
All of your opponent's Trap card activations and effects are negated.
- Lord of Dragons: [Kaiba's Deck Master]
Pay 500 Life Points. Special Summon a Dragon Sub-Type Monster from your hand. Standard sacrifice requirements apply.
- Dark Magician: [Yugi's Deck Master]
Use a Magic card twice during this turn. This effect can only be used once per game.
- Shinato's Ark: [Noa's Deck Master]
All Monsters that are placed in the Cemetery are placed in the [Shinato's Ark] instead, and cannot be targeted or affected by other cards, nor return from it. You may remove all Monsters in the [Shinato's Ark] from the game and gain 500 Life Points for each Monster removed. In five turns, you may replace this card with a [Shinato, King of a Higher Plane].
- Shinato, King of a Higher Plane: [Noa's Deck Master]
If this Monster attacks and destroys an opponent's Monster in defense mode, reduce your opponent's Life Points by half. Gain Life Points equal to the Battle Damage this Monster does to your opponent. Once per game, if this Monster would be destroyed, return it to your Deck Master position, and it can never be Summoned again.
- Kaiser Sea Horse: [Kaiba's Deck Master]
Reduce the High-Level Sacrifice requirement of the Light Main-Type Monsters in your hand by 1.